More than a century ago, fourteen men petitioned a bank to be built in Soperton, a community which housed a rail station for the M. D. & S. Railroad, which had extended its line from Dublin to Vidalia in 1900. Opening its doors on June 1, 1903, The Bank of Soperton began with $11,000.00 in capital and $2,035.43 in deposits.
From then until today, customers have continued to rely upon the bank to meet their financial goals and obligations. According to President/CEO Chandler Maurice Beasley III, “Today we reach a much broader and more diversified base of customers, much different from the early days of the bank when the majority of business was based upon agricultural demands and naval stores operations.”
In 1999, the growth of the bank propelled it into its fourth building and current location at 1202 Second Street North in Soperton. From its beginning in 1903 in a small building on dirt Main Street in Soperton to its present site, the bank continues to be trusted by customers facing changing times. “As times have changed, so have the many services offered by the bank. Providing excellent customer service will always be our top priority, while the bank is also committed to progress by offering additional products that meet the needs of our customers,” said Beasley.
As the bank continues to grow, so does our footprint in neighboring communities. In the fall of 2015 we decided to open our first location outside of Treutlen County. The decision was made to open another branch of TBOS, named “Million Pines Community Bank” located at 121 Church Street in downtown Vidalia, Ga. This new location made perfect sense due to proximity, the fact the Soperton and Vidalia communities have always complimented each other so well and because we saw the need in Vidalia for a locally owned bank where lending decisions are made by local people. Our progress in Vidalia since the second branch opening has been exceptional and that brings us to where we are today. Recently rebranded to consolidate our two successful bank branches under one name, Georgia First Bank.